Monitoring Oceans from Space
This course will provide an introduction to ocean monitoring Earth Observation (EO) satellite data, and its uses, types and challenges. It will explain how the data is acquired and used, the range of data types available, and the terminology and techniques involved.
You will look at practical examples of using ocean monitoring EO data - in real-world case-studies and in a range of areas of policy and decision-making - and will explore emerging technologies and trends.
The course will introduce you to the operational marine data stream from EUMETSAT in the context of the ‘Copernicus’ programme. It will highlight the role of the Sentinel-3, Sentinel-6 and Jason-3 ocean monitoring satellites and the contributing missions providing marine data for Copernicus – such as Metop and Meteosat. You will also explore the role of the Copernicus Marine Environment Service (CMEMS), focussing on the applications of its data for users and its wider benefits to society.
- Explore how we observe and measure the oceans with satellites
- Understand the operational and service elements of the Copernicus marine data stream and how it helps to improve oceanographic models
- Understand the importance of satellite observations for marine environment monitoring and in particular for CMEMS
- Recognize the importance of the data for monitoring environmental processes in the oceans
- Investigate how satellite data is used in policy and decision-making, in a range of arenas, in conjunction with models
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for people who want to learn and explore more about Earth observation and ocean monitoring from space. It is ideal for new potential EO marine data users as well as existing professionals working in other areas of EO, oceanography or environmental science.
It will also help policy-makers, decision-makers, communicators, educators and the general public gain a better insight into the use of satellite data in environmental and ocean monitoring.
(This course was also previously available via the FutureLearn platform here)
You may like...
A set of videos providing an insight into the working lives of seven different space scientists and engineers in the UK.
7 short videos
A look at the future technology and innovations in Earth Observation, including AI, deep learning, 3D visualisation.
Learn how the Greenland ice sheet is monitored from space and the ground.