Space for International Development Assistance
Course now live!
This set of learning resources is presented in the form of a light-touch 'MOOC' (Massive Open Online Course). The 'MOOC' examines the benefits of Earth Observation (EO) for International Development Assistance (IDA). It features contributions and perspectives from leading voices in development from the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, European Space Agency (ESA) and client countries. It shows examples of data, applications and new capabilities under the Space for IDA cooperation agreement and stemming from the previous EO4SD partnership between ESA, the World Bank and Asian Development Bank, as well as related initiatives.
Who is this MOOC for?
This 'MOOC' is designed for people who want to learn more about EO for international development assistance and the ESA Space for IDA cooperation agreement. The course can also help decision-makers, policy-makers, educators and communicators to gain a better insight into the impact of Earth Observation in in a wide range of real-world sustainable development and development assistance contexts.
In this MOOC, each topic is introduced through a video with supporting text.
We have also provided a range of optional further reading, links, and additional resources to help consolidate your learning. Here is a summary of what is available:
Topic links and resources
In each topic, once you have watched the video and read the accompanying text, you will find the following information:
- Optional Further Reading: These are external links to further reading and other resources.
- Featured Images and animations: Below the text on each video page, you’ll find the featured images and featured animations.
- Interactives: On the 'Interactives' tab on relevent topic pages, you will find some interactive Data Viewers (e.g. ESA's Climate from Space tool), allowing you to explore a selection of data relevant to the themes and topics in this MOOC.
- Quizzes: At the end of each Chapter (and in the middle of Chapter 2) there will be a quiz consisting of around five questions. These will help you consolidate your understanding of new topics, but are not scored. The feedback given with answers will also provide you with important information. These quizzes are informal and therefore there is no formal scoring.
- Participation certificates are available for this MOOC, you can request one using the form at the end of the course.
You may like...
A collection of ten videos describing Aurora's mission to Mars.
Explore how artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technologies are helping to advance Earth monitoring.
Explore our planet from space and learn how Earth observation is used to monitor climate change